My Patrons: Joey the Kid on the Bike


After leaving work this evening, I still felt overwhelmed by everything that was happening in my life. When I wake up this morning, I need to throw as many boxes into this pick-up truck as possible. By 9AM I need to meet my mom at her job to drive her to a doctor's appointment. After that, I need to drive to the new dealership to meet with Bossman. We need to discuss a few implementations and ideas. After that, I drive to the apartment, unload the boxes, move everything onto the new rug, and start cleaning the kitchen.

I haven't opened that fridge since May, and I think the ex-girlfriend left some things in there when she left. The odor should be phenomenal.

All these things were on my mind as I exited the rear door of the current dealership. As I walked to the truck, I didn't even notice the 12 year old ride by, happily listening to his iPod. As I opened the door and prepared to leave for the day, I hear a voice.

"Excuse me, sir."

I'd been so deep in thought, I hadn't realized the kid in the bike turned around and drove back to me.

"Do you go to St. Mary's?" he asks me.

"Yes I do," I said with a smile.

"Do you know who I am?" he asked.

"Unfortunately I don't," I responded, apologetically. He looked familiar, but I couldn't place his face to any name.

"Do you remember me sitting down last week?"

Instantly I remembered seeing him, and my heart skipped a beat. I remembered walking to the podium to do the First Reading, and seeing this boy silently sitting off to the side. He wore the same alb and cincture I remember wearing 17 years ago.

We talked for several minutes, and I felt wonderful about the accidental meeting. His name was Joey, and his family attends St. Mary's, despite living so far from the church. He said he'd just become an altar boy a few months ago, and that his dad pointed out how I'd been an altar server for Father Host years ago. It was kind of awkward, he looked at me like I was a minor celebrity, but yet I felt at peace.

He looked at me with the innocent eyes of a child....as if he already knew what my heart desired.

As I drove home, I realized I'd been given another friendly "bump." With everything happening in my life, Somebody decided to remind me of what's important, and for that I am eternally grateful.

While he may not know it, Joey was a reminder that my discernment wasn't just about me. It was a reminder that while I find it hard to combine my "regular" life with my "spiritual" life, others don't see the difference. I'm just Vito.

My patrons not only give me strength and moral support, but they help me stay on track, reminding me what is important in life.

Thanks for stopping by, Joey. Next time we'll put some air in your tires.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

1 Response to My Patrons: Joey the Kid on the Bike

Anonymous
August 8, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Just wanted to let you know that I've started reading your blog recently & pray for the Lord to guide you through your discernment of the priesthood. I've tagged you for a meme if that's ok.