The Rule of Vito?

After work, I had a small dinner with my Spiritual Director (she ate oatmeal). I was excited to tell her about Sunday, my experience with the Capuchins, and how excited I was about life. As always, she returned the energy, and we had a few good laughs.

I asked her about a question that had bugged me. I was asked by someone: "How would you describe your spirituality" and I was at a loss for words. I believe in God, I pray, I help out at church, etc. How do I develop my own sense of spirituality?

My Spiritual Director laughed, saying she'd thought the very same thing not that long ago. Like always, she had the perfect task for me to work on developing my own sense of spirituality.

My homework for the month is to write out my own rule of life. What is important to me, what makes me happy, how I should interact with others, what brings me closer to God. It can be 4 words or it can be 73 chapters like the Rule of St. Benedict. It's all up to me, but I must write up a rule of life.

The easy route would be to say: "Follow the Word of God" and be done with it, but I understand the purpose of the exercise. Each of us view God differently, and feel his presence in different things. For some of us God is power, and his work can be seen in the majesty of the mountains, the expanse of the seas, and the beauty of nature. For others God is truth. God is love. God is humility. Each person develops that relationship with God, and their faith is based off of that relationship. And I think that's what I'm looking for in my search for spirituality.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

No Response to "The Rule of Vito?"