Discernment & Music: Here I Go Again

The phenomenon of finding spiritual messages in secular music is not my own. For many people discerning, be it a religious vocation, love, a new start in life, there is something unique about a music that speaks to our very hearts.

One of my brothers asked a buddy and I to play a song for his vocation story. In spite of the over-acting and ridiculousness of the event, there is a greater irony that something as cheesy as an 80's rock song could speak to the very thoughts that someone has about joining a religious vocation.

Enjoy...and remember that God speaks to us in many ways...sometimes through our adoration, sometimes through silence in meditation, and sometimes with a sense of the absurd. =)

P.S. I was a huge fan of Whitesnake when I was a kid!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/video/video.php?v=1173531371118&ref=nf

No I don't know where I'm going
But I sure know where I've been
Hanging on to promises in the songs of yesterday
And I made up my mind
I ain't wastin' no more time
Here I go again
Here I go again

Though I keep searching for an answer
I never seem to find what I'm looking for
Oh Lord I pray you give me strength to carry on
'Cause I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams

Here I go again on my own
Walkin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was known to walk alone
And I've made up my mind
I ain't wastin' no more time

I'm just another heart in need of rescue
Waiting on love's sweet charity
And I'm gonna hold on for the rest of my days


Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

3 Response to Discernment & Music: Here I Go Again

Qualis Rex
July 4, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Br Vito, this was too funny. I was never a "metalero" when I was young. In Mexico, I was into "Rock En Tu Idioma" (still am). But when I got to the US, I was indoctrinated into the music of Freestyle; arguably the most cheesy, talentless and random music on the planet. While my tastes vary and range wildly now, I just can't stop my love of Freestyle (maybe because of the heavy beats bring me back to my misspent youth : ) So, tell your friend that Whitesnake is nothing to be ashamed of. You just get on with your bad self (though I would recommend playing it on an iPod with earphones and pretending it is a newscast for maximum discretion).

July 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Lol I remember 95 South!

My guilty pleasure to this day is Electronica. When I was 20 I had a pair of Technic 1200's, a set of Ortofon needles, Tascam x-fader, and about 2 grand in vinyl. My flavor was Hard House, Trance, and UK Hard House.

There's another guy in my class who used to spin vinyl as well. We joke that we're going to come up with the first "techno Mass setting." =)

Qualis Rex
July 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Br Vito, if you do the whole Techno-mass thing, you might want to invest in a blue-light for the tabernacle and replace the halos on all the saints with glow-sticks for maximum effect.

The video link sounds very much what you hear to this day in the UK/Europe at any given Friday/Saturday night. I like the clip, only I take about 10 minutes of it maximum before I feel my heart ghasping for breath under the strain.