Feast Day of St. Vito


June 15th is the day I get to brag about being named after a Catholic Saint. Although I usually draw some laughs when I put myself and the word "saint" in the same sentence.

From The Catholic Review:

St. Vito was born to a pagan senator, but his tutor (St. Modestus) and his nurse (St. Crescentia) converted St. Vito to Christianity when he was 12 years old. Angered, St. Vito’s father had the three arrested and imprisoned, but the saints were released by angels. After helping the emperor’s son, St. Vito refused to join in the un-Christian celebrations and he was therefore imprisoned and condemned to death. At the moment the saint died for his faith in 303, a storm blew over and destroyed some pagan temples. St. Vito therefore is patron saint against storms.

Now, for the really eerie part:

My mother named me Vito because she saw the name on a calender listing the Feast Days of all the saints. This explains why the name was given as such. St. Vito is the modernized version of the saint's true name: St. Vitus. When you discern, you often ask for the help of the saints to get you through the rough times. In my studies, I read about him and was amazed by what I found:

From Catholic Online:

A great devotion to Vitus developed in Germany when his relics were translated to Saxony in 836. He is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers and is the patron of epileptics, those afflicted with St. Vitus' Dance (named after him}, dancers, and actors, and is a protector against storms.

There are many things that have stopped me in my tracks, but when when an epileptic as myself is named after my patron saint, long before the condition ever developed, it just kind of makes you think "Maybe I am in the right place at the right time."

If anything else, it's a reminder that I'm still learning about myself, and it's a good reason to keep following this path I'm on.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

No Response to "Feast Day of St. Vito"