Day 95: "The Story" with Dick Gordon


As I became more sure of my vocation, I found myself telling everyone I could. Only months before, I hid this part of my life like a dark secret, ashamed or maybe unworthy of the desire that stirred inside of me. These days, I'll tell almost anyone about my vocation story: strangers, customers, even talk radio shows.

For those unfamiliar with NPR, one of it's more endearing programs is called The Story. It's a candid look at regular people in America doing extraordinary things in their lives. I remember years ago hearing a story of an 80 year old man who decided to join the seminary after his wife of nearly 50 years passed. It's a show that brings stories of interest, wonder, hope, and even laughter.

Several weeks past I sent them an email about my life and what I was deciding. In short time I was contacted by the studio and scheduled for a phone interview. Today I went into the local NPR studio at Grand Valley State University and recorded my story with Dick Gordon. I'm not sure if there was an empty slot or if they found my story extremely interesting, but my story will air tomorrow on NPR.

For you readers, you will know most of the story that I talk about. If you wish to listen, check your local NPR station to see when the program airs in your area. If you miss it, it will be available from their site: www.thestory.org. I'll find a way to link the interview after it is posted.

The important thing for me is to tell my story. It's not about fame, or feeling important. It's part of the ministry. This is part of what I've been called to do. And while my voice wasn't always steady, and I was quite nervous during the whole ordeal, I enjoyed the opportunity for others to hear my story and hopefully find something good in even the most mundane of circumstances.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

1 Response to Day 95: "The Story" with Dick Gordon

June 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Here is a link to the audio interview: http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_516_USS_Stark.mp3

Jump to 23:50 for Vito's story.

Good to hear you!