On The Road Again

Tomorrow I leave again to visit the Capuchin Franciscans in Chicago, the Order and Province I hope to join this fall. It is a Pre-Postulancy Weekend, meaning that people who are seriously thinking about joining, as well as people who are just slightly interested or new to their vocational call, will all be together to learn about the order, it's history, and what it truly means to be a Capuchin Friar.

I do enjoy these types of weekends because I feel like the "veteran" discerner. I'm what they call a second-career candidate, meaning I didn't just come out of college and that I've "lived" before listening to my calling. Because of my unique situation, I offer a different viewpoint to the other guys coming out of high school or college and considering joining the Capuchins. That view allows me to see people from a different perspective, and often I get a different response from the friars than the other candidates.

I feel that if I eventually make it into the Order, I would like to do something in the Vocations Office. It's an exciting and confusing time for men and women as they figure out exactly where God is calling them. To be there during that time, to be a part of that calling, is interesting to me.

I leave tomorrow around 1 AM (weather permitting) and will make it in time to enjoy a fish dinner at the friary. I won't be back until Monday, when I start dealing again at the poker room after a two week vacation from being the pitboss. Will that ever be a weird and awkward situation!

Have a good weekend.

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

2 Response to On The Road Again

JC
February 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Hey, brother..

I don't comment a lot, but I do read each of these, and hope that you find what you're looking for, very much.

I have a request - which may seem odd, but hear me out. I'm not sure how many of the other people that are reading this have RL dealings with you - you and I know each other purely through the typed medium. Throughout all of your posts, I've been wondering the same thing....& maybe you've planned to get to this eventually, & maybe I'm just not patient....I can accept that, haha, maybe I'm NOT. So...my request:

A description of 'a day in the life of a Capuchin Franciscan'.

What is it that you'll be doing with your days, if everything that you hope for comes your way?

February 10, 2008 at 9:23 AM

Thanks for continuously reading. I'm still in St. Clare Friary in Chicago as I read this now, awaiting morning prayer.

A day in the life of a Capuchin Franciscan is a broad concept, since the Capuchins use whatever talens and gifts you have to benefit the order.

However on the drive home today, I will do my best to think of something to write down and give people an example of Capuchin living.